Every year I think about how I need to research and find the best natural and safe, yet effective, sunscreen for my kids and for myself of course!
The summer passes on and all the while my “sunscreen research project” is still on my to-do list and I’m using what I think is my best choice from my local “save money, live better” store.
Well, I came across the fabulous 2009 Sunscreen Safety Guide: Best and Worst in one of my newsletter subscriptions and was thrilled! The Environmental Working Group has done all of the work for me (and then some)!
“EWG’s investigation of 485 beach and sport sunscreens finds that 3 out of 5 contain chemicals that may pose health hazards or don’t adequately protect skin from the sun’s damaging rays.” ~ www.ewg.org
Visit the link above to find out where your current sunscreen comes in on the list and what it’s score is.
As a consumer, we have to know what to look for or what NOT to look for in protecting ourselves because the FDA standards for sunscreen are weak and outdated.
Say YES to these sunscreen specifics:
- SPF 30 or more
- Zinc oxide or titanium dioxide – at least 7% for broad spectrum protection (both UVB and UVA)
- Buy new sunscreen every year
Say NO Thanks to these sunscreen specifics:
- Oxybenzone (benzophenone-3) – this chemical can be absorbed through the skin, can cause allergic reactions and hormone disruption
- Sprays and Powders ( I know – I like the spray too, it’s very convenient:) – these can easily be breathed in by the kiddos
- Fragrances – these can cause allergic reactions and reproductive problems
- Sunscreen/Bug repellent Combos – too much pesticide can be absorbed into the body
Download the EWG’s Shopper’s Guide to Safer Sunscreens
My attitude toward sunscreen, along with many of you, is quite different than when I was in high school…who remembers the baby oil? I have pretty fair skin and my kids are very fair also, so I need something that works and that is non-toxic.
So, no more putting it off! We now have a list of the best safe and natural sunscreens, they are a little tougher to find locally, but thanks to the ease of the internet…no problem!
I have put together a few of the top rated sunscreens that are available on Amazon in my TCOB…at Home’s Store. So, if you are planning to buy from Amazon, you can go through my store and you will also be sending a little support to this blog.
Purchase Best Natural & Safe Sunscreens on Amazon